Monday, May 7, 2012

Jday GP Race May 6th, 2012

JDay Race May 6, 2012 http://www.jday.com/




We headed to the 2nd round of the JDay GP series in Chepachet, RI on Sunday May 6th. This was only a little over 1 hour from home...love it when I don't have to get up at 4 in the morning. It looked like a great turn out (over 350 riders) and the weather decided to cooperate as well. Dad had the bikes prepped and ready, and I was fired up to tear it up.

Moto One: I completely blew the start and got off the line in last place (It took 4 kicks to fire up the mighty YZ Eric Gorr built 134). A 1st turn pile up let me catch back up and within the next 2 turns I found myself in 6th place. Since the motos are only 30 minutes long, I decided to push as hard as I could and sprint all the way. It didn't take long for me to get to the front and engage in a battle for the lead. Passing was tricky on this course as the ruts got deep fast and turns got pretty one lined. The "river jump" didn't allow for passing either, as the "slower" alternate route over the bridge actually turned out to be the faster and smoother way to go. After working my way into the top 3 I went for a pass for the lead and ended up crashing, dropping all the way back to 12th place. I put my head down and worked hard to save what I could. In the end I finished moto 1 in 5th place and felt pretty good about it.

Moto Two: I had trouble at the start again, though this time I got off the line somewhere mid pack. The track and trail was pretty beat up, roots and rocks started to show and the ruts and mud holes got really bad...these were all things that worked in my favor as I seem to feel more comfortable the nastier it gets. I sprinted as hard as I could, working my way up to the leaders. I was turning consistently fastest lap times, catching everyone pretty quickly. The bike hooked up so well, I seemed to be on rails...I was in the zone...then I got bit. I caught a slimy rock and the bike swapped left to right. I thought I'd keep it pinned and ride it out, but this time that didn't work. I ended up crashing between 2 trees, and from there I really don't remember exactly what happened. I was told that the bike and I flew through the air and I pretty much slammed into a tree full speed. Things went silent for a few seconds, then I realized that I was still in the moto. I picked myself up (with some help from spectators - THANK YOU!!!) and decided that I wanted to finish no matter what...My shoulder and elbow hurt pretty bad, I bit my tongue, and I had blood on my jersey - I figured out later that my chin developed a slight leak :) . I think I finished the moto in 9th place, so really, considering the way the day went I can't complain too much.

The atmosphere at this race was amazing...it felt like a GNCC race (I was told there were over 1000 spectators)...people everywhere, cheering and helping riders out. Mad props to John Day and his crew!!!

I can't wait for the next Jday race in 2 weeks to redeem myself and get on the box. Thank you to my sponsors Moose Racing, Kenda Tires (the Triple hooked up great), Summit Clothing, and thank you to mom and dad and all my friends who help make this thing happen.

Braaap!

Hunter "747" Neuwirth

1 comment:

  1. You ended up with a 7th overall bud. Not bad for a "bad" day.

    ReplyDelete