Monday, September 28, 2015

JDay Double Header and Color Changes


The only constant in life is…change. This is probably the single most true statement I can come up with. With that in mind, my race program was sent standing on its head. After 2 years on the blue crew (most recently a pretty great race at the GNCC at Unadilla) I am sooooo pumped to be able to join the orange brigade and rip a 2016 KTM 250 XC for the rest of this season and in 2016. Dad picked the bike up from KTM’s Scott Buxton late Friday night and rolled it into the garage at 10 pm. We set the sag, played with the clickers a little bit and loaded up to hit the JDay Sprint Enduro at Crow Hill MX on Saturday…what better place than that to break in and learn a new bike. I love Sprint Enduros to begin with – they offer such a huge variety of terrain and John Day sure knows how to run them! My plan was to ride a few tests, make adjustments, and just learn.
PC: Art Pepin - www.offroadpaparazzi.com 
The feel of the bike is totally different from my Yamaha, so I had no illusions of doing great things…I hooked up with Damon Rummel (yeah…THE Damon Rummel) who came out of “retirement” and we rode the first few tests together to have some wicked fun. The wild thing was, I felt comfortable on the bike within the first few turns, and started to actually attack the course. The bike just felt so planted, and confidence inspiring, that I decided after the 1st two tests to throw out my plans of just testing and I switched to race mode. The more I pushed the bike the better it handled, and I was able to put in some good special tests. At the end of the day I surprised myself (and everyone else) with a win in the A250 class and a 4thplace overall – I am hooked on the KTM!!!! For Sale: Yamaha YZ250

On Sunday we decided to go back to Crow Hill MX and race the JDay GP. I haven’t done one of these in a while – it’s not really my game right now - and I almost forgot how much fun JDay GP’s really are. Because of the MX track being part of the course this was yet another different environment to test and learn the new KTM. Moto 1 was awesome…
PC: Art Pepin - www.offroadpaparazzi.com
I was able to pull a good start (2nd) thanks to the electric start and chased John Mele for a little bit on the MX track. Once I made the pass I was able to gap him and the rest of the A250 field and I started to ride up into the pro ranks. I ended up winning the 1st moto in A250 and pull and 8th place overall. That’s as good as I have ever done against the JDay pros…
Moto 2 started out ok too, I didn’t get quite the start that I wanted, but was able to push into the top 3 after the 1st lap. Unfortunately I made a few bad line choices while pushing for the lead, one of which really took it to me and sent me cart wheeling down the trail. When I got back on my bike the leaders (Mikey M, and Cody B.) had opened up quite a gap. I was able to close in but did not have enough to get them and had to settle for 3rd, which gave me a 2nd place in A250 behind Cody Baker. I had a blast battling with these guys, it was hard but clean….I loved EVERY second of it and can’t wait to do it again.

As to my switch to orange…I’m not sure what to say other than it is incredible. I can’t wait to get the bike dialed in – the suspension is now at Factory Connection (pumped to be able to work with them) to get re-valved and set up for me. Thank you Brooks Hamilton and KTM USA for accepting me into your support program…I have found even more drive and motivation.
PC: Art Pepin - www.offroadpaparazzi.com

Speaking of changes…you already know that I love to ride and have fun…you also know that I take my training pretty seriously and work with Brendan Sheehan on that. Thanks to that I have been able to overcome my back problems from a previous injury and I am able to ride pretty much pain free. In addition to that I have now switched from Hammer Nutrition to Advocare products, thanks to my buddy Mark Koch from Texas. Just like my new KTM, the stuff works magic.



Next weekend dad and I will head to Pennsylvania to race the GNCC and put the XC through its paces there – I’m thinking this will be another great event to learn more about my new ride.

Unretired Damon Rummel - PC: Cindy Rummel
This is where its time to thank all the companies and people that support me: Brooks “Hollywood” Hamilton and KTM USA, Tim Edelmann at Edelmanns Sales, Factory Connection Suspension, Mike Tosch at Kenda Tires, Roger Cameron at Magical Gogo, Craig Thompson at SRT, JB and Tom L. at FAHQ Racing, EKS Brand Goggles, Amanda and Mike at Fly Racing, Steve at STS Motorsports, FMF Racing, Art Pepin at Offroad Paparazzi, James Curry at Tube Saddle, The Loud Fuel/ Carbon Zero Crew, Paul “The Poacher” Goyette, Brendan Sheehan at Zero4Fitness, of course my mom and dad, my Grand Parents here in the US and in Austria, my sister Haley who is always there to support me. Thanks to Texas mad man and “Mr. Advocare” Mark Koch for the help….glad you got to ride a New England race…next time, bring all your Texas buddies!!!

A huge shout out to the Pachecos’ – not only did they let me crash in their awesome rig this weekend, they took care of me while dad went home to prep my newly retired YZ for the TEXAS Mafia (Rick Nowlan and Mark Koch) to ride on Sunday.

PC: Cindy Rummel
I do want to acknowledge Bill at CCycle Suspension…just would not be right not to point this out. Bill has been with me since we moved to New England and he has been a huge supporter, and I would like to thank him for that publicly. With changes come different opportunities, this is just one of them.

Thanks for reading!!

Hunter “747” Neuwirth

No comments:

Post a Comment