Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Catra/Netra Black Fly Hare Scramble, Fish House, NY

After missing my blog assignment from last week’s race at Eastford, CT, its time I cranked one out again from this weekend race.
PC- Leanne Dutlinger
Unfortunately as it worked out with the schedule, this week’s NETRA race in Fish House, NY fell on the same day as the JDay River Rush GP….a bummer because I would really like to run both series. We decided to go to New York as that one is a better preparation race for Erzberg, coming up in 2 weeks. Two plus hours of pounding nasty NETRA trail…what could be better than that? I’ve had some pretty good NETRA races so far this season, winning my class in the 1st two events, so I wanted to continue this trend. We made a few small changes to my bike set up again, hoping to get closer to “perfection”….who knows, by the end of the season we might be there.

PC - Leanne Dutlinger
My start was decent (not great but good enough). After a few turns I jumped out to the lead, only to wash out over some hidden roots and got passed by my buddy Layne Dutlinger. I finally figured it out and was able to stay upright, get around Layne, and check out.

I found a decent rhythm and had a 1 minute gap by lap 2. The course was actually quite fast and flowy, but the shadows made for pretty bad visibility in the woods considering how fast we were going. I think I had enough close calls to last me an entire season. Dad pulled me in for fuel after lap 4. My sister helped with the pit stop as usual, she’s getting quite good at that. Dad fueled me up and as I left the pits he told me that 2nd place was closing in on me and I needed to sprint for a few laps. So I did…I put in 2 sprint laps, and was able to increase my lead to a little over 2 minutes, and in the process, move up in the overall ranking. I pushed to the end, though I have to say, by the last lap my hands were gone and I was happy to see the checkered flag. I ended up winning my class - A250, and earned the A High Point top amateur trophy, overall I finished in 5th place. I’m pumped with this result, and while I realize that I still need to improve to be able to run with the top pros in New England, I feel like I am closing the gap.

PC - Tammy Neuwirth
As far as racing goes, this is it for me…while I will ride a lot over the next 2 weeks, I am done racing until the Red Bull Erzberg Rodeo. We are flying out on the 30th, visit with my grandparents and then head to Eisenerz in the Austrian state/province of Styria – Arnold Schwarzenegger’s home state - where I will get to meet my race bike for the 1st time…a 2015 Husqvarna TE 300. We’ll spend a little bit of time setting it up for me and then its “balls to the wall” to get through qualifying. Wish me luck!!!


PC - Tammy Neuwirth
If you would like to contribute to my overseas race fund, you can still do that here: www.gofundme.com/747to Erzberg We can still use your support!!!!

Hey...keep reading...you're not done!!!!

As always, a huge thank you and shout out to my awesome sponsors!!! Like them, visit them, share them, buy from them!!!!

Fly Racing, Kenda Tires, Magical Gogo, EKS Brand goggles, Carbon Zero (Scott Keller's reforestation program is really cool - I will write about that soon), SRT Offroad, Panic Rev Ministries, Renthal, offroadpaparazzi, www.fmfracing.comwww.tubesaddle.com, www.ccycle.com, mom & dad and my sister, and my grandparents here and in Austria.

A huge shout out to Brendan Sheehan…he has taken over my fitness program from my dad, its been nothing short of awesome!!!

Thank you all for reading! The next blog will hopefully be a cool report about my trip to the Red Bull Rodeo in Austria....I am so stoked to go!!!!

Keep the rubber side down!!!

Hunter "747" Neuwirth
PC - Wolfgang Neuwirth

No comments:

Post a Comment